This recipe is based on a German apple cake recipe but made with our gluten free cake mix and ground almonds. You can of course use other fruit, for example pineapple, mandarins or banana.
Ingredients (Fudge Sauce)
- 50g butter
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 50g double cream
Mix all the above in a saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Once it has all melted bring to the boil for 3 minutes until bubbling then remove from the heat.
- 105g butter or margarine
- 50g caster sugar
- 55g light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 105g Baked To Taste cake mix
- 75g ground almonds
- 60g milk
- 2 eating apples
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Preheat oven to 160C/Fan 150C Gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Slice the apples thinly and mix with the lemon juice. Pour the fudge sauce onto the bottom of the prepared tin and arrange the apples on top in a circular pattern.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time until fully mixed. If the mixture starts to curdle add a tablespoon of the cake mix.
- Fold in the flour and ground almonds a tablespoon at a time until lump free. Fold in the milk.
- Spoon over the apples and fudge sauce and smooth the top with a palette knife.
- You may have sponge mixture over, if so make a few cupcakes. I had enough for 5 cupcakes and I added chocolate chips to mine, but you could also use a handful of dried or fresh fruit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake is firm to the touch.
- Turn upside down and serve hot with custard or cream.